Search This Blog

Monday, January 31, 2011

Onside and Offside

One week ago Sian Massey was on top of the world.  Well, she should have been.  However, a great no-call in the Wolverhampton-Liverpool match was widely ignored as the story soon turned to the controversy surrounding the comments made by Richard Keys and Andy Gray, who work(ed) for Sky Sports. 



This was Massey's second game at the EPL level, the first being back in December.  I didn't watch the game last weekend, but when I did see the replay of the "incident", for lack of a better word, I was struck that there was a female running the line.  Let me clarify before I go on: I was not shocked that a female could run the line, only shocked because out of the many EPL games I've watched this is the first where I've seen a female as a referee.  The only other time I have seen a female this high in the ranks was when Amy Fearn took over for her male counterpart when he came down with an injury.  She was only on 20 minutes, but was very good from the articles I've read.

Now, let me say this first, I enjoy watching the NBA over the WNBA, MLS over the WUSA (and EPL over both), basically men's sports over womens - when I'm watching.  But this is not an issue of the athleticism and talent of the players, but an issue of the competency of the person, male or female.  As a referee we are called on to make the proper calls.  What is so upsetting about this whole debacle is that neither Keys nor Gray had enough common sense to think "she's obviously here for a reason, she must have plenty of experience and have been tested several times before to get to this level". 

I had the opportunity to go to Regionals last year in Baton Rouge.  In total, for all of the Southeastern Region (region 3), there were approximately 15-20 female officials, maybe slightly more.  Sadly, none were from South Carolina.  In the past 3.5 years of reffing I have worked with 3, maybe 4 female refs.  So when I got to regionals I was amazed at how many solid female refs there are, all tested and proven.  I got to work with one who was fantastic, Kathryn Heidke, and ended up sending of 2 guys in a U18 match.  I'm 26 and would not have had the balls to do what she did, especially at Regionals.

Having had the experience at Regionals my view of last weekend's incident became much more clear.  Sian Massey was not there to appease some feminist group - she was there because she was good, and in that high level game she was great.  The offside call is one of, if not the, hardest calls in all of soccer, no matter what level.  That call in particular was extremely difficult as the defender was moving up the field and the attacker towards the goal.  When two players are traveling in opposite directions like that the gulf between them widens so quickly, but that did not phase Massey.

An Instructor relayed a story a couple weekends ago about a gentleman who wanted to become a ref.  As they were talking on the phone the guy said he didn't want to do women's game, apparently not competitive enough for him.  Almost immediately this instructor said, well, you can call these guys, but I'm not helping you anymore. 

The game of soccer is a game for both men and women, especially in the US where women's soccer has done so much to grow the game.  Being a referee and being a woman are not mutually exclusive.  In the past we would see a woman's name on my line and think, "Oh boy, here we go", but now, after seeing how women have benefited this game and that they are beyond capable of refereeing a quality and fair game, we must reach out and encourage these women to stick with reffing.  Watch Sian Massey's call again and put yourself in her shoes.  Given that speed and the direction of the players, not to mention the English atmosphere at the park, I more than likely would have screwed that up.  Not to mention she has to be in top shape just to make that call!  The saddest part of all of this is that she has now been pulled off of two games for making the RIGHT CALL.

Next time you're on the pitch and you have a female referee make sure to go out of your way to help them, encourage them, learn the game from a woman's perspective.  Cheers to Sian Massey for reaching the top of English football.

No comments:

Post a Comment