Search This Blog

Friday, February 17, 2012

Spring Flings


Do you guys ever have those times in your life when things just seem to be going right?  Yes, you still have your day to day inconveniences, you still have to pay the bills and all that, but some things just fall into place.
Blackbaud Stadium in Charleston -
My U18 games will take place here.



The last month has been a whirlwind in the soccer part of my life, but a good whirlwind.  About a month ago I was invited by our SYRA, a guy who has gone well above and beyond to help our state restructure itself, to attend an RTS (Regional Training Seminar).  Being a grade 7 with great interest in upgrading by year end the idea of attending a Pro clinic resonated loudly with me.  Yeah, except that fitness test, but you have heard me complain all about that.

Well, I’m less than 24 hours away from running the test.  I’m very confident today because of all the training in the past month.  I didn’t think a month ago that I would feel so confident a day before the test, but I do. 

A little aside for those of you who might be a grade 8 and you are debating what to do with your career, upgrade, stay an 8, maybe even retire.  I looked at the list of who is attending the clinic and was blown away.  Along with several 7s, 6s and 5s there are several notable attendees: Michael Kennedy,  Abiodun Okulaja,  Andrew Chapin, Bill Dittmar, George Gansner just to name a few.  I have met several MLS quality referees in the past couple years, most at the Regional Tournament, but never have I been involved with so many at one time.  And that’s not even the best part!  The two men leading the discussion will be Herb Silva and Alfred “Lithuania” Kleinaitis.  Spend some time with Alfred and you’ll know why I call him “Lithuania”.  If you are thinking there is no reason to upgrade or go to these events I would like to point out just whom you will be rubbing shoulders with.  It’s a great opportunity to learn from the best and pick the brains of some pretty well-respected people in the referee community.

As I was training for the upcoming fitness test my SYRA, who happened to be training there with his wife, mentioned there may be an opportunity to ref some youth games in Charleston.  These aren’t just any youth games either, they are the youth teams for MLS clubs, all academy teams.  I about jumped out of my shoes!  I just received my assignments today, the U18 boys games at Blackbaud Stadium on Sunday, February 26th.  I have been to Blackbaud, known guys who have reffed there, but never gotten the opportunity to ref there myself.  What’s also pretty cool is that these games take place the morning after three MLS teams will have played there as part of the Carolina Cup (http://www.charlestonbattery.com/news.asp).  The next weekend, March 3rd, our local referee society will be taking a bus to Charleston to watch the last two games of the Cup, joining the referee group from the low state.

All in all a soccer-ific  Spring.  I can’t wait to get everything started with the fitness test tomorrow.  Lastly, I want to point out that these things aren’t happening simply because I’m a high-up referee with lots of connections and I’m so good at what I do.  I am a normal grade 7 ref looking to advance.  If you take the time to get involved with your local chapter, show up to your games on time, work at this profession these things will happen.  There are so many opportunities out there but you have to be willing to put in a little extra effort and make a few weekend trips (and have a loving wife who lets you do these things!).  Get out there and make your own opportunities, you’ll be surprised at how many doors open up.

No comments:

Post a Comment