Search This Blog

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Interesting things on and off the pitch

So, after the Tottenham-Bolton game this morning (see previous blog entry) and some work around the house I had two Premier games to referee.  My center was a U15 boys match and my AR duty was on a U16 boys match with top of the table implications.

I wasn't feeling very up for my game, not sure why, but I was kinda dragging, mentally and physically.  Luckily it was a very easy match, not really because of anything I did but the game just didn't take on that persona, so to speak.  The players pretty much decided the game on their own without me having to get involved too much.

When I got done with my game I waited for my ARs to join me in the middle of the field.  As AR2 got there we chatted for a moment, the usual "good job", "thanks for the help" kind of stuff, but then he tells me "let's go".  As I get my head up I realize the ref on the field next to ours is getting his a** chewed out by the coach.  The coach was yelling literally inches from the ref's ear.  We run over and provide support to the other ref crew, trying to intervene and get the parties to their proper places.

One error the referee (and his crew) made was not getting the coach and referee separated.  The coach went on yelling at the ref for a solid minute, and even though the crew was right there, they should have gotten that coach away from the referee.  Second, one the coach started using the language he did as well as elevating his voice to unacceptable levels (I mean he was giving it to the referee) the center should have told him to go the parking lot.  There is a time and place to let the coach go on, but what happened today was just inappropriate.

Our second game was intense.  The first place team in the table was playing the 4th place team.  Both had two games in had on the 2nd place team, meaning they could both finish in the top 2, and this game would go a long way to deciding who would finish first.  Well, the 4th place team won 2-1 as we had 4 minutes of extra time in a youth game - don't see that too often - but it was well deserved.  The referee took a lot of risk throughout the game but it flowed smoothly and these 16 year olds decided they could play through most anything.

After the game is when it got really interesting though.  We're finishing paperwork on the sidelines and then all hell breaks loose.  I see the coach doing some imitation chest compressions, nothing serious, not like CPR or anything, but he's trying to help a player who's laying flat on his back.  Apparently the guy is about to pass out, but at the time we thought it could be much worse, such as an asthma attack or other problems with breathing.  A lady calls 911 and has me do the talking.  The ref who got yelled at in the first game on the other field is an EMT so he comes over to help and there is a doctor around.  The paramedics come, give the kid oxygen and puts him on the bus.  The rumor was that he had had the flu and probably didn't have enough fluids in him.  Whatever the case, he ended up being okay and it made for a very interesting afternoon.

Thoughts, suggestions?  Let me have 'em!  I'll try to do a review on USSF's Week in Review tomorrow.  Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment