Search This Blog

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Looking for better shoes?

A few months ago an avid runner looked at my feet as I had been complaining about them for a while.  She recommended I look into custom orthotics.  I looked into them and got them just before the Youth club season began.  I worked into them over a few weeks and eventually used them for all my games.  The foot doctor also recommended that I look into different shoes, mainly because my feet are wide and could benefit from a wider shoe, especially in the toe box.

So, two weeks ago I visited a well-known running store called Fleet Feet.  He helped me find a good shoe, and honestly at this store I'm sure all the shoes were good as this isn't just a Dick's store where they carry all kinds of running shoes.  I got the Asics GT-2150, width 2E.  I took out their insole and put in my orthotics and wore them in a game for the first time last night.  Although it was only a U14 girls match and I was only the AR, they fit pretty well.  My assessment after one game is that they were a really good fit, very comfortable and the extra width makes a huge difference.  The space inside the shoe feels very roomy, but at the same time the shoe still stays on my foot.

For clarification, these are just running shoes, not turf shoes.  I would not recommend wearing these in the rain, but last night on pretty dry grass they performed well.

This is only one game, but I like the shoes so far.  I have nine games this weekend so, come Monday, I will be able to give a better opinion on them.  Cost at Fleet feet was roughly $90 after tax.

Are there any shoes that you can recommend to me?

Here are Bill's shoes:

2 comments:

  1. I have been using the New Balance MF995 LBK for the last 6 months. Great support, good traction for turf and grass, although wet grass is a bit challenging. And they look great, as they have a shiny black leather paint job that holds up great. Wet cloth to clean up and they look like new. They run about $65-70 online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment and recommendation, Bill. In looking at the picture I posted to my original post it does look like your shoes have a lot of grip.

    Growing up I would look for shoes that helped with touch, because I was playing soccer, not reffing it. Now, I'm trying to get out of that mentality and I'm looking for shoes for comfort, rather than touch. That made me to turn to running shoes and I think that more and more referees will be doing that especially after several years of pounding your knees on hard ground as you follow 18 year olds up and down the field.

    ReplyDelete